Thursday, February 26, 2009

6 Years Old

Millie, 6 years ago from this very moment I was in full-on labor with you. You kind of took your time making your entrance to the world but once you were here it was like you'd always been here. You, and your giant newborn feet. You've grown up so much this past year. You love school and you've become very independent. Today, when we were doing homework you told me you love to read and that was one of the best things you've ever said to me because I love to read too and I'm excited that you're excited about it.

You love school, your teacher and all your school friends. On the way to school you often talk about what you might play at recess. Will it be mousey game? or hamster climbing the wall? or windy day game? It's strange for me to think that you have this whole part of your life that I'm not involved in. It's strange but it also makes me proud because you are so sure of yourself.

I am very pleased to say that having meals with you has also become a bit easier. You used to throw a fit a couple times a week over your dinner, but lately you've been much more pleasant and willing to try new foods. You love mushrooms, broccoli, cooked carrots and of course the staples, like mac and cheese and grilled cheese. It's a relief to your dad and me that you're no longer surviving on pure carbohydrates.

You are very sensitive to other people's feelings, especially your sister's. I love listening to you talk to Laney when you don't know I'm listening. Most of the time you are very tender with her. You take pride in your ability to translate her 2-year-old talk when we don't understand her, which comes in very handy. Yesterday you told me that Laney is a little angel-devil and then you did an impression of her that involved a sweet squeaky voice and a screechy demon voice. You said sometimes you don't know if she's going to kiss you or bite you but you always hope for a kiss. That's one of the things I love most about you: Your willingness take a chance in hope that what you get will be something good.

I love you,
Mama


3 comments:

Be Like the Squirrel, Girl said...

Happy Birthday, Millie! Don't grow too quickly, now.

Sassy Grammy Tammy said...

This is so precious, Jenny. Millie has grown in to such a beautitul and sweet little girl. We love her so much!

AKA Jaymi said...

That is so sweet I am tearing up!