I had to call Poison Control twice a week ago. You see, first Laney decided drink liquid laundry detergent and a few days later it was toilet bowl cleaner. She's fine! The people at Poison Control are competent and great and they didn't call child protective services on me. (Whew!) Both times they told me to get her to drink something and to watch her for stomach-upset, which she never got. They even called back to check on her and when they could hear her running around like a little nut in the background they laughed and said it sounds like I've got my hands full. And folks, I do! It's not like we keep household cleaners laying around the house. In fact both times I was in the room with her when it happened. She's sooo fast.
With the laundry detergent I was doing laundry and she was toddling around and chirping away. I dumped the detergent in the washer and next thing I knew she was gagging on the remnants of detergent left in the cup. But did I learn anything from this experience? Like, say, put the kid in her crib while working with dangerous household products she might possibly try to consume? Apparently not because the toilet bowl cleaner incident was basically an exact replica of the detergent incident. I was cleaning the toilet with her in the bathroom and the next thing I know she was trying to chug the toilet bowl cleaner. Did I mention this kid is fast?! She nearly bounds from one dangerous situation to another. Rest assured I've learning my lesson and I'll put her in her crib when I'm doing laundry or cleaning the toilet no matter how much she screams.